Tripoli Libya Artillery
The Matador was a typical AEC vehicle of the period, with flat fronted cab to accommodate the crew of one, a curved roof and a canvas backed rear load area. It was a 4 x 4 vehicle with an AEC 7.6 litre engine and a speed of around 30 mph. The British military saw the AEC as an essential vehicle during World War II and it saw service in many roles both during and after the conflict. RAF Idris was an RAF base between 1943 and 1966. The station was used during the War as a convenient base for several squadrons involved in the desert war. Afterwards, the RAF used it for military manoeuvres in the neighbouring desert. The British Forces left in 1966 when Libya became a republic. At that point, the station became Libyas Idris Airport before ultimately being renamed Tripoli International Airport.
This 1:76 scale AEC Matador model, features in a simple black and white chequered colour scheme, including a white roof and black wheels, as used by the RAF Desert Rescue Team in North Africa. The RAF roundel is printed on one side of the flat front and RAF Idris is printed on the side doors. Registered 77 AE 11, its purpose is also highlighted by the Desert Rescue wording above the windscreen. On this model too, note the addition of a spotlight on the front of the roof above the signage. Additional external masking is finished in silver while the interior is moulded black with black steering wheel.
After WWII, the Matador continued in a useful role as a recovery truck and general-purpose contractor vehicle. As a 4 x 4, its versatility saw it also used for off-road jobs and even saw service as a showmans vehicle. Youve seen many of these different AEC Matador uses replicated in the Oxford ranges in both military and civilian guise.